This is the audio recording of the 02/15 meet-up with Dr. Stephen A Smith, evolutionary biologist and Assistant Professor at the University of Michigan. In this meet-up, Dr. Smith discusses the study of plant evolution as well as a bold research project called “the Open Tree of Life” project.
I’ve provided a list of some of the conversation highlights and time marks for easy reference:
- Start – Introduction and Smith’s background and research of early evolution of plants & animals
- 25:40 – Differences between the evolution of plants and animals
- 31:40- How does climate change affect plant evolution?
- 41:45 – Gene transference amongst plants
- 51:30- Thoughts on GMO plants
- 58:40 – Determining the chronology of plants
- 1:01:10 – Plants in Antarctica
- 1:20:40- Plant emotions and communication
- 1:24:27 – The Open Tree of Life Project