This is the audio recording of the 01/25 meet-up with Dr. Ruud Visser, postdoc at University of Michigan. In this meet-up, Ruud discusses his research into the chemical aspects of star formation and its implications on seeding solar systems with organic material capable of becoming life.
I’ve provided a list of conversation highlights and time marks for easy reference:
- 00:01 Introduction and overview of Visser’s education and experience
- 28:20 On planets in the habitable zone of a solar system
- 32:40 Searching for extra-terrestrial amino acids
- 43:00 Europa and Titan
- 45:45 Formation of Rocky Planets and Gas Giants
- 50:15 Comets as delivery agents of water to Earth
- 58:45 The abundance of Carbon in the solar system
- 1:12:00 On intelligent life in the Galaxy
- 1:30:08 What’s a typical day like for Ruud?
- 1:36:05 On applying for grants and doing outreach