On Saturday May 19th, the Ann Arbor Science & Skeptics are hosting an event at the downtown library called “The Scientists Fair” that will take place from 1:00pm to 3:00pm. This will be free and open to both Ann Arbor Science & Skeptics members and the general public.
Located in the Multi-Purpose room (in the lower level of the main branch), there will be several professors from the University of Michigan with expertise in general fields of knowledge, available to answer your questions. We will have a couple of fun activities that are related to skepticism as well.
The purpose of this event is to not only acquaint people to scientific knowledge, but also to how that knowledge is obtained. We want people to ask these professors how theories are supported with experimentation, what hypotheses were tested and confirmed or falsified, and to what extent is there consensus amongst their colleagues.
The goal is to build public trust in the process of science.
I hope we can get your support.
In order to make this event run as smoothly and effectively as possible, volunteers will be needed. Here are a few roles in which you could provide help:
- Create Signage
- Create & Distribute Flyers in Specific Locations
- Develop Activities
- Create Event Flyers for Guests
- Help Set-Up Room Before Event
- Hand Out Event Flyers
- Help Moderate Conversations
- Direct & Administrate Skeptic Activities
- Answer Questions About the Group
- Clean Up
- Go To Bar
If you are interested in helping out, please let us know!
We have established a goal of $500 for this event. We are accepting donations both at our get-togethers and now on our website (see “Donate” button in the sidebar of the homepage that will take you to a page with a donation meter to see how close we are to our goal).
If this event is something you can get behind, and you have a few extra dollars, it’d be very much appreciated. If you can’t make a donation, again please consider volunteering.
Here’s what we have factored into our goal of raising $500 for this event:
- $125 – Rental Fee of the Room
- $50 – Foam Boards & Markers (for Signage)
- $25 – Skeptic Activity Games/Puzzles/etc.
- $25 – Copy/Printing/Flyers (for Advertising & Event Hand-outs)
- $75 -Speaker Fees/Expenses (this refers to a couple of people traveling long distance & their equipment)
- $200 – Professional Videographer (for Marketing & Publicity)*
(*) – We are also looking for someone who would be interested in editing the video, otherwise we may look at obtaining professional editing services.
“We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology, and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. That’s a clear prescription for disaster.” – Carl Sagan